My Pet Accidentally Swallowed a Chewing Gum – Should I Be Worried?

Dogs often consume what they should not. They’re not picky about what they eat, from the road or your dish. It’s rarely unexpected that a dog has ingested chewing gum. A handful of compounds can be harmful to dogs if given to them. Xylitol, a chemical generally found in sugar-free chewing gum, is on the checklist.

Is Gum Dangerous to Dogs?

Your dog’s health is at risk depending on the sort of gum it takes in. Sugar-free gum is exceptionally harmful to dogs. This is because of an element named Xylitol, which is derived from various plants. When ingested in large enough doses, it can be deadly to dogs.

If your dog eats sugary gum, it isn’t likely to trigger any risk. Nausea and even gas are side effects that could be harmful. Vast quantities of gum consumed all at once by your dog are unlikely to obstruct the intestines.

Things to Do When Your Dog Ate a Chewing Gum

It should not be a big deal if your dog accidentally swallows some chewing gum. After all, people frequently swallow gum without issue. Chewing gum consists of a dangerous element for dogs, so pet owners should keep it out of reach from their pets.

Gum can create severe poisoning, even if it has previously been chewed. This is why it’s vital to be prepared if your dog unintentionally consumes gum. This article explains why dogs shouldn’t swallow gum and what to do if they do.

Watch Out for Xylitol Poisoning

Pet owners that aren’t informed regarding the dangers of gum intake will believe it’s not a big deal. Your dog can pass it via feces, but Xylitol is the danger here. Xylitol, natural alcohol discovered in chewing gum, is an artificial sweetener.

One serving of Xylitol stimulates the pancreas to release a significant quantity of insulin quickly since it is swiftly taken into the dog’s bloodstream. A considerable amount of xylitol-laced gum can create liver failure in your dog. A contact number for a veterinarian from Englewood veterinary clinic is necessary for an emergency like this.

Call Your Vet Right Away

Do not put off taking your dog to the Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Hospital if you spot them chewing on gum. You don’t need to wait for your dog to display signs before doing something about it. It might be too late for your pet if the poisoning progresses to this point.

Hydrogen peroxide can cause vomiting to the veterinarian in specific circumstances. Unless your veterinarian informs you to, you should not do this. Vets hope that vomiting will cause their dog to spit out the gum. Even if the dog vomited the gum, you must still take it to the veterinarian center.

Keep a Close Eye on Them

Xylitol poisoning would necessitate a prolonged stay at the veterinarian’s office for significantly ill dogs. Your dog’s treatment will continue until the gum passes and the blood sugar level stabilizes. When you return home from the orthopedic vet, keep a watchful eye on your dog over the following few days.

Do not disregard symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, and a lack of interest in physical activity as indicators of disease.

Bottom Line

Keep your gum away from your dog, particularly sugar-free gum that consists of Xylitol, and do not store it in places where they’ll be enticed to snoop around. If you believe your dog has chewed gum, the above guideline should be promptly applied. Preventative actions are possible, and they’re the most effective.